22 October 2009


On the 10th of September my new adventure has started. I have left my beautiful country (Italy) to go to Almeria, in the South of Spain. Let's just say that I wasn't really enthusiastic because I really did not want to spend a year in a foreign country when I could have been in London. Anyway I had to take two airplanes too because, unfortunately there is not a direct flight from sardinia. Therefore my first stop was the airport of Madrid, Barajas, which is one of the biggest and busiest airports in Europe. After I caught my second flight, I finally arrived in Almeria where my sister's friend was expecting both Manu and me. I must say, thank God my sister was with me because even though I really did know some spanish, I could not understand very well what Belen (my sister's friend) was saying to me. Furthermore, here in Almeria, people speak with an andalusian accent: basically they speak very fast and do not pronounce s or d, which makes it very difficult to understand. 
Luckily, after the first week, I could already be able to talk with people and  to not embarrass myself too badly. I had a really hard time trying to find a room where to live, but when it seemed that everything was lost, I found the perfect apartment ever! I live in an attic at the 10th floor with 4 other people (an Italian and a spanish guy, an american and an Irish girl). The craziest thing ever is that everybody has a double room with its own bathroom too. It is really comfortable and the price is perfect too! The thing I like the most is the balcony, which is huge and from where you can see the sea in front of you. My flat-mates seem all really nice and it's great living with people you actually go along with!
After I found a place to live, I started exploring the city, which wasn't so bad as I expected.
 The old part of the town is very beautiful, and you can find the influence of different cultures in many buildings. The city has a colorful history that dates back to the Bronze age, and it is associated with the Phoenicians, Greeks, Romans, Visigoths and Arabs in latter times. The name Almeria derives from the Arabic Al-MAriyat, meaning 'The Mirror of the Sea' or Al-Mariyya, meaning 'lookout' or 'vigil' for its original function of protection of the city of Bayyana, currently known as Pechina. The most famous monument of Almeria is the Alcazaba, a Moorish castle that is the second largest Moslem fortress in Alndalucia after the famous Alhambra in Granada. 
What I love the most of Almeria, is the fact that you have the sea right in front of the city. It is beautiful and I cannot believe that in October I'm still going sun-tanning and swimming in the sea. Since I've been here, the weather has been very warm and since I'm usually used to London's weather, it's a nice change!!!! :-)

3 comments:

  1. what a great change you were not so enthusiastic about!

    I am happy for you, dear :*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you weren't enthusiastic about a year in Spain! Especially about a year on the souther coast of Spain! When can I visit?!?!??!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I still prefer living in London....you can come and visit me whenever you want! The door is always open for you!

    ReplyDelete